Wednesday, August 22, 2007

In the beginning...

...there was China. Well actually in the very beginning there was Russia. Our first choice to adopt when we were looking into international adoption. Justin and I both share Eastern European heritage, he has a brother living in Moscow and it just felt like the right choice for us. This was in early 2005 and right at about that time, Russia began changing it's allowances for international adoption, the minimum age of children being adopted out began to rise and then eventually the whole program went on hold. As we hadn't really done any paperwork or paid for anything yet, we were encouraged to switch to China. Which we did happily, having heard wonderful stories and feedback about families that had experienced a straightforward process, a relatively small wait for a referral and a beautiful healthy baby.

Oh China...where did we go wrong, you and me? Fast forward two years and two moves later. We are in Atlanta now, having begun the adoption process in New York City. This put a another waiting period on our home study as we had to find a new social worker, do an update and then of course decide that it was a good time to buy a house and then do another update. Finally - home study complete, log in date to the Chinese Consulate confirmed on March 30, 2007 and we are in for the real wait. Only things have been changing in China since I began this process and my wait time from login date to referral crept up while I was busy updating and moving and fretting and waiting. First 12 months, then 18 month, then 24 months and rumors even began circulating that 36 months was a possibility.

And then here comes Russia, trundling along like a big bear, re-accrediting agencies, lowering ages again for children eligible to be adopted and generally, welcoming us back with open arms. Now don't get me wrong. I haven't given up on China. Assured by my adoption agency that I can be back wtih a Russian child before I even get a referral for China as the current situation looks, I am taking my chances and plan on visiting Moscow and the new baby in the lovely month of February when I've heard it's very...cold.

So you're up to date now, fans of love. I've squeezed at least 20 months worth of angst into those little paragraphs up there. And I feel a bit like Ed McDonnough from Raising Arizona in my quest to "get me one of them babies". But it's all systems go now and so hang on and stay tuned...